The SP20,000™ (With Integrated Controls) comes ready to Install. After mounting The SidePuller™, just supply Incoming Hydraulic Pressure, a Hydraulic Return Line, connect 12 volt Power and you’re done. It’s that easy!
The SP20,000™ (With Integrated Controls) Includes Center Recovery Boom Head – Outer Removable Recovery Boom Head – 20,000 lb Winch with Tensioner Plate - Winch Free Spool with Easy Reach Handle - Hydraulic Valve Body – Pre Plumbed – Wireless Remote Control – 9/16” x 150 ft Wire Rope – Installation Hardware - Painted Tuff Coat Gloss Black Finish - Decal Package – Operation Manual Online – Shipping Stand.
MADE IN THE USA.
Click on a HotSpot to learn
more about a specific feature
Click a Question to
reveal the answer
- Where can I purchase a SidePuller™?
- You can purchase your SidePuller™ from any Authorized In The Ditch SidePuller™ Distributor.
We do not sell direct to end users but we would be glad to help you with any questions you may have.
- Why did you decide to build the SP20,000™ SidePuller™?
- It started with a phone call from Ron Pullen of New York. He was building a new 20 ton single axle wrecker and wanted to have the features of a SP8000™ but with more size. Ron asked me if we could build him what he was looking for. We talked for a couple weeks, taking notes and discussing the best features to include in the design. After all the notes were compiled, we built and shipped Ron a working prototype and it's still in service today 15 years later!
- What were some of the things you felt were important to the design?
- One of the main design criteria was to keep this unit light weight and strong. Most 20 to 35 ton wreckers have a 12,000lb to 14,600lb front axle. Adding too much extra weight was a big consideration to make sure the truck did not go over the manufacturer’s front axle’s weight rating.
- So how much weight will be added to the front axle if I install a SP20,000™ on my truck?
- The weight added to your front axle will vary from truck to truck, depending on how far back the SP20,000™ is from the front axle. Here are some typical results. With a Standard Day cab (no sleeper) expect to add around 1,200 lbs to the front axle. If you have a sleeper, the longer the sleeper, the less weight will be put on the front axle, because you are mounting the SP20,000™ further from the axle.
- Why don't you offer a 30,000lb or 35,000lb winch?
- If we put a larger winch you would not see any benefit unless increased weight and cost are a benefit! The limiting factor to the amount of work a SidePuller™ can do is the stance of the stabilizer legs. The wider the stance the more you can pull before the truck starts to tip or slide. The SP20,000™ was computer matched to have the optimum sized winch for the stance. We also wanted to make the SP20,000™ easy to use. With a 20,000lb Winch and 9/16” Diameter Wire Rope, you can easily pull out wire and walk to the casualty. In talking with dozens of customers who own the SP20,000™, they all feel that the 20,000lb winch is sized right for the application.
- Why don't you increase the stance of the SP20,000™?
- The stance on the SP20,000™ is as wide as we can go without making the legs fold back or fold in. We had to stay under 102” wide when the Stabilizers are retracted. With our design we were able to keep the low Pull D-ring right down at ground level so you can really generate great low pulling power. The larger SidePullers™ with Folding Outriggers loose that Low pull feature.
- Is that why you make 3 different models?
- Yes, each model is designed for a GVWR or class range of truck. We also match the winch and stabilizer legs to best fit the application. The SP9000™ fits class 6 trucks, the SP12,000™ fits class 7 trucks and the SP20,000™ fits class 8 trucks.
- What are some of the other features you wanted to include in the design?
- We wanted to keep the required space to mount the SP20,000™ as small as possible. On Ron's truck he has a Century Wrecker with Modular tool boxes and SP20,000™ needs only 18" of space. Mounting space requirement was important in the event someone wanted to retrofit an existing truck with a SP20,000™.
- Why do the Specifications on the brochure say we need 24" to 36” of space and you just said it would fit in 18" of space?
- We wanted to give you a measurement that would fit any wrecker, carrier or service body without any modifications. If you choose to mount the SP20,000™ in a space less than we recommend, you may have to do some modifications to your wrecker or carrier so you will have clear access to the SP Winch. You can look at our dimension section of this website and decide for yourself how much space you will need for your truck. Keep operator safety in mind when installing the SP20,000™. You should leave ample room to safely service the SP20,000™.
- Can the D-Rings be moved to different locations on the SP20,000™?
- Yes! There are 8 different locations to mount the D-Ring to; you can also order additional D-Ring and pins from your Authorized In The Ditch SidePuller™ Dealer.
- Can I pull straight back from the center boom head of the SP20,000™?
- Yes! That was one of the main things we wanted from the design. We wanted to be able to run a line straight from the center boom head of the SidePuller™ straight back to the wrecker boom and have 3 lines off our boom. This would be very useful when picking with the 2 wrecker winch lines because you would have the 3rd SidePuller™ line to rotate the casualty.
- What is the optional hook slide tray?
- The optional hook slide tray is an option on the SP12,000™ and SP20,000™. The hook slide tray bolts on to the SidePuller™ and allows the operator to place the winch line on it and slide the hook and wire rope to the other side of the truck. I would recommend that anyone putting a SP12,000™ or SP20,000™ on a wrecker order the optional Hook Slide Tray.
- What's next?
- At In The Ditch, We are doing what we have always done and that is to constantly look for ways to improve all of the SidePuller™ models. I would say we are relentless in this quest!
Note: Due to constant changes in our designs, some information may change from time to time and become out of date. The above information is for general discussion only.
|Stablilizer Leg (each)
||9/16" x 150' Steel Core Wire Rope
|Chassis GVRW: Class 6
||30,000 lbs. and Up
|Recommended Minimum Additional Cab to Axle Spacing (Carriers)
|Recommended Minimum Additional Cab to Axle Spacing (Wreckers)
||24" to 36" Depending on Accessibility to SP Winch
|Min - Max Frame Height
||40" - 46"
|Min - Max Frame Width - Adjustable Mounting Base Width
||33" to 35" (Requires Mounting Shims)
|STANDARD FEATURES SP20,000 (WITH INTEGRATED CONTROLS)
|Part Number ITD4670
|20,000 lb. WARN High Speed Severe Duty Planetary Winch
||Hydraulic Stabilizer Legs with Lock Valve Safety Features
|9/16" x 150' Steel Core Wire Rope
||Self-Leveling Pavement Pads on Stabilizer Legs
|Air Operated Winch Free Spool Release
||Fold Down Ground Penetrating Grousers on Stabilizer Legs
|Winch Tensioner Plate
||Wire Rope Hook Slide Tray
|(8) Eight Tie Back Points (Removable D-Rings)
||Tuff Coat Gloss Black Finish
|(2) Two Removable D-Rings
||Wire Routing System allows easy Wiring from Light Bar to Chassis
|Wireless Remote Control for all Functions with Manual Over-rides
||Center Recovery Boom Head
|Completely Plumbed and Ready for Installation
||Outer Recovery Boom Head
|Adjustable Light Bar Mounting Base (Factory Installed at ITD)
||Adjustable Light Bar Mounting Base (Field Installed - Requires Welding)
|SP Series Swept Wing Light Bar Pylon (Adjustable Height 91" Wide)
||Additional Removable D-Rings and Pins
|SP Series Model-54 Adjustable Height SP-Light Bar Pylon 54" Wide
||Primer Gray, Ready for you to Paint Your Own Color
|SP Series Model-60 Adjustable Height SP-Light Bar Pylon 60" Wide
||Stainless Steel Dress Up Package
|SP Series Model-70 Adjustable Height SP-Light Bar Pylon 70" Wide
For the most recent specifications, installation procedures and the latest copy of our operation manual please consult the SP Series Operation Manual found on this website.